JIDS requires that PDFs open within the web browser and not externally in Adobe Reader. Sometimes a setting in Adobe Reader tells your browser to open the PDF outside of your internet browser, in the Adobe Reader program, instead of within the browser window. If this occurs, you will not be able to save or edit forms in JIDS.
Example of PDF E-form opening outside of the web browser:
Example of PDF E-form correctly opening inside the web browser (in the JIDS web viewer window):
Here are some easy steps for resolving this issue:
- First determine your current version of Adobe Reader. Open Adobe Reader from your desktop or programs menu and select the "Help" menu:
- Next, click on "About Adobe Reader" to find your current version:
For Adobe Reader X and less:
- Open Adobe Reader.
- Click on Edit in the menu bar.
- Then click on Preferences in the drop down menu list.
- Click on the Internet category on the left pane.
- Check and tick the check box for Display PDF in Browser:
For Adobe Reader XI, the change must be made within your internet browser. Please follow these instructions according to your internet browser:
For Microsoft Internet Explorer:
- Go to "Tools"
- Select "Manage Add Ons"
- Scroll down the menu until you reach "Adobe System, Incorporated" You may have to select "All add-ons" to see this.
- Ensure that Adobe PDF, Adobe PDF Link Helper, and other Adobe Add-Ons are enabled:
In addition, if you do not have "Adobe PDF Link Helper" listed in your Add-ons menu, you may need to reinstall Adobe Reader:
- Click here to get the latest version.
- After you download the Installer, locate the file on your hard drive. Close any opened Internet Explorer windows before proceeding
- Right-click the file and select "Run as administrator"
- When you get User Account Control warning message, click YES
- If you receive a Windows Smart Screen Error, click Run Anyway
- Open Internet Explorer after installation
- When you receive a message "The 'Adobe PDF Link Helper' add-on from 'Adobe Systems, Incorporated' is ready for use. Enable or Disable?" Select Enable
If you have Microsoft Internet Explorer and none of the above options corrects the problem, you may be running Internet Explorer in 64-bit mode:
Internet Explorer in 64-bit mode does not support the Adobe PDF Reader add-on. Open Internet Explorer in 32-bit mode to determine if this might be your issue:
- Open your C: drive
- Navigate to the Program Files (x86) folder and open
- Select Internet Explorer
- Double-click on "iexplore" or "iexplore.exe." This will open IE in 32-bit mode
- Retry viewing an E-form in JIDS
Click here to watch step-by-step video
For Mozilla Firefox (through version 51):
- Go to "Tools"
- Select "Add ons"
- Ensure that any Adobe plugins are set to "Enable" or "Always Activate":
- Go to "Tools"
- Select "Options"
- Select the "Applications" button at the top menu
- Ensure that "Use Adobe Acrobat (in Firefox)" is selected for Adobe and Portable Document Format (PDF) content types:
After making the changes, please close your browser and reopen before logging back into JIDS.
For Mozilla Firefox (version 52 and above):
Mozilla Firefox phased out support of Adobe PDF Reader in version 52 and greater. Click here for more information.